Friday, November 27, 2009

Art & philosophy

Part of our program at OOST includes art theory and philosophy. Over the last weeks, we've been going over the history of art theory and philosophy(/sociology) of art. We've "arrived" at Hegel, Bourdieu, and Sartre in the last couple of weeks. None of this is new for me, but what I notice this time around is a now-familiar set of reactions to their material -- a range of emotions running from frustration to helplessness. During the last many years my art-making process has often been accompanied by thoughts such as: why am I doing this, anyway? What is art for today? I have trouble finding answers. I flounder and worry, but continue to make work because I love the making process.
One of my intentions for my work in the OOST program is to search for ways to tackle these issues and find, or create, answers to these questions.

1 comment:

  1. Those Thoughts, they can make me so confused. What am I worth, what is the place of my art in this world? In the end it comes down to start with where I am today, work with the materials I today have. Strive for gold, add as much love as I can into the process. And let the magic do it's work.
    There are no exact answers to these thoughts I believe. create because you can. Amuse the black mother.
    It's the hardest part of being a artist to me, give myself the credit to be.
    Love to hear what answers you find, love Elisa

    ReplyDelete